Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Wednesday, August 22, 2012

THURSDAY, say...thank you

You're on a downhill slide...
tomorrow is Friday!  Wonderful Friday.

Thursday isn't known so much for being the
day after Wednesday as it is for being the eve of
Friday! 

In the Japanese language, the days of the week are named after elements of nature e.g. Sun, Water. Thursday is called mokuyoubi (木曜日), with its representative element being wood or tree.  I know...it means nothing to me, either.  I just thought it would be interesting to throw that tidbit of info in the blog!  :)

Each November, Thursday plays hosts to Thanksgiving Day, or, what we lovingly call Turkey Day.  On a weekly basis, Thursday should be declared as a day to be thankful...why wait till November? 

I'm reminded of this old chorus:

Thank you Lord, for saving my soul
Thank you Lord, for making me whole
Thank you Lord, for giving to me
So great a salvation, so rich and so free.

Thankfulness seems to be a lost art today. Warren Wiersby illustrated this problem in his commentary on Colossians. He told about a ministerial student in Evanston, Illinois, who was part of a life-saving squad. In 1860, a ship went aground on the shore of Lake Michigan near Evanston, and Edward Spencer waded again and again into the frigid waters to rescue 17 passengers. In the process, his health was permanently damaged. Some years later at his funeral, it was noted that not one of the people he rescued ever thanked him.

Jesus spent His earthly life ministering to the hurting, the oppressed, and possessed.  Why did only one cleansed leper return to thank Jesus? The following are nine suggested reasons why the nine did not return:

One waited to see if the cure was real.
One waited to see if it would last.
One said he would see Jesus later.
One decided that he had never had leprosy.
One said he would have gotten well anyway.
One gave the glory to the priests.
One said, "O, well, Jesus didn't really do anything."
One said, "Any rabbi could have done it."
One said, "I was already much improved."

Personally, I am thankful for God the Father, His Son, Jesus Christ, and the precious Holy Spirit.  One evening on Mt. Nebo (my study/prayer mountain) I wrote in my notebook:

I need to write this a hundred times:
The more I communicate/connect in prayer,
The greater the Holy Spirit involvement = BIG FAITH
The more I connect in prayer, the more the Holy Spirit reveals.
The more I connect in prayer, the more the Holy Spirit speaks.
The more I connect in prayer, the more the Holy Spirit is present.
The more I connect in prayer, the more the Holy Spirit acts.
The more I connect in prayer, the more the Holy Spirit anoints.

Tis' good to be thankful.  Especially if you are excited about Friday.

In his book FOLK PSALMS OF FAITH, Ray Stedman tells of an experience H.A. Ironside had in a crowded restaurant. Just as Ironside was about to begin his meal, a man approached and asked if he could join him. Ironside invited his to have a seat. Then, as was his custom, Ironside bowed his head in prayer. When he opened his eyes, the other man asked, "Do you have a headache?" Ironside replied, "No, I don't." The other man asked, "Well, is there something wrong with your food?" Ironside replied, "No, I was simply thanking God as I always do before I eat."

The man said, "Oh, you're one of those, are you? Well, I want you to know I never give thanks. I earn my money by the sweat of my brow and I don't have to give thanks to anybody when I eat. I just start right in!"

Ironside said, "Yes, you're just like my dog. That's what he does too!"

So, Unless you are a dog or a cat...give thanks today. 

It's Thursday.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment