Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Robert Morris' Msg: Honor

My words here...Morris' words in red below.
 
This blog will help understand how to accept the person that is unlovable.  Some people can be unlikable, cruel, rude, or small-minded, making it hard to love them.

 This story begins with my trip to Texas, just one month ago.

I visited my granddaughter, Brooke, and her husband, Josue. near Dallas and attended their church.  The message by Gateway pastor, Robert Morris, has stayed with me till this day... I wish someone had explained these principles to me many years ago, but, it's never to late to learn. 

Truth:  It's difficult to accept a person who is difficult!  It's hard to honor someone you don't like. 

Jesus said:
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34
"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Eph. 4:2
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds," Hebrews 10:24

If we understand 'honor' and its effect...we will change our thoughts, words, and actions.  When those areas are changed in us - we then change our world.

Robert Morris listed the Principle of Honoring and the Principle of Receiving as something we can do to actually affect the people around us.

1)  The Principle of Honoring:  Mark 6:1-5.  Jesus could not do many miracles in his home town because he was dishonored.  They were offended by him.  He was limited because He was dishonored.

Two words:
a) Familiarity - The phrase, prophet without honor in his home town is quoted, even by unbelievers, but we skip over the phrase "In His Own House"....We know what he/she is like behind closed doors...we are familiar with him.

b) Offended:  We are offended by that person - and if we are offended, we will never honor that person.  That person has to be forgiven, even if what that person did is worthy of us being offended.

If dishonor hindered Jesus - it's possible that our lack of honoring also hinders that one from doing and being all that he/she can be.

Ephesians 6:2-3 " Honor.....That it may be well with you"  - How we treat other people affects us.

2)   The Principle of Receiving.  Matthew 10:40  "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me, receives Him who sent me." 

You may be living with a person, but you have not received that person.  If you will honor him  the Bible says that God will do something in your life.

How do I receive?  When you receive a person in your life as God's perfect gift to you, even though they are not perfect....you allow that person to be all God intended him to be in your life.  Until you do this, he can't be all that God intended him to be...and when you accept that person, you release that person to be all that God intended him to be in your life.

=========================================================
There is a difference between acceptance and approval.  We can accept a person but not approve of his behavior.  This is what the Lord requires of us.  Accept - love - honor.  Even when we don't want to...even when that person isn't deserving of honor. 

In a nutshell: 
I honor a person by accepting him and treating him with the love that is required of me in the Word.  Then I release that person!  Friction is gone.  I am at peace.  The opportunity for input into that person's life is increased.

Honoring the unlovable changes me.  I may choose to focus on the good in that person....and then I will sense that Holy Spirit is pleased with me. 

Honor and Release.  Acts of freedom.

Go and smile.  It's up to you.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment