Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Good Riddance !!

I barely caught the announcement of a "Good Riddance Day" to be held in New York around New Year's eve. This was the first I'd heard of such a happening. Where have I been? I could've used one of those special days about 365 times...every year of my life.

Google provided the missing details...(what doesn't goggle provide?) along with a picture.

Today in Times Square, bring it all: Photos of your ex, your “separation letter” from your employer, the iPod you tried to get repaired seven times – you name it -- and prepare to shred, flatten, decimate and otherwise destroy it all. Shredders and sledgehammers will be provided, along with a dumpster to house it all when you’re through. And the most creative entry even nets $250.

Humans were given a flyer with the heading: Out with the Old, in with the New! upon which they listed whatever they wanted to say Good Riddance to. One...listed...sorrow, guilt, loss, regret, lack of hope. This event was held, as one stated, because sometimes you need to just let go.

The apostle Paul said it this way: forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Philippians 3:12-14. Easy said, hard to do, Paul! But he didn't say it would be easy. I have a question??? why is it: doing wrong things is easy - doing right things is not so easy. Another question??? why do I carry inside of me the things I need to get rid of???

Suppose I created my own flyer - one per month for 2010. If I write on the flyer the things I need to forget...to let go of...at the end of the month I can have a celebration and shred, flatten, decimate and otherwise destroy it all. Ok, I'll go first. I know what needs to be on mine. Loss, grief, regret(s). But wait, it wouldn't be fair to simply place this one flyer on my wall....God is a God of balance. I should also create another flyer with the heading: My future destiny, planned by God. Oh, this is getting somewhere...am I leaning toward a positive approach to life, here? I certainly pray it's so!
Where are you in all of this? Do you need to have a Good Riddance Day at your house? Do you need to say Good Riddance to family problems, resentment, harbored hurts, lack of confidence or lack of a healthy self-esteem...I'm convinced that we are very hard on ourselves - much harder on us than our Lord wants us to be - He loves us - He loves you...and wants the best for you. That's why He died on the cross - to give you a Good Riddance Day...the best flyer was created by Him. The heading reads: Romans 10:9. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Saved from what? Sin...transgressions...old carnal nature...death...
Saved to what? Righteousness...eternity with God...forgiveness...add joy, peace and a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Now, go schedule your Good Riddance Day...you'll feel much better. You will win a prize that is out of this world! :)


1 comment:

  1. Do I need a "good riddance day"? Do I?? Do I ever! I wish I had heard of it earlier. Finally...someone was reading my mind :-), even a little late. But wait, it's never too late, right? Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete