Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Wednesday, January 15, 2020

THE MAN WITH THE TRACH TUBE

 I wondered if I did the right thing.  But I knew I felt the nudge to do it.

As it often happens, Wal-Mart didn't have one item I needed.  Since when does a W/M NOT have even ONE can of spray starch?  Really?  So, that means I have to stop at another store on the way home.  It wasn't in my plans.  I already have a to-do list....but, Food Giant, here I come.

This is the week! We leave Friday for another trip to Belize where we assist with building churches.  We have a rather large team going this trip.  It will be a great week.  

You know how it is...when the days are counting down and there's a multitude of little things to handle before the final day to PACK, get to bed early and sleep 2 or 3 hours ... because planes love to leave at 5am.  I'm not a 5am person.  I'm a 8am person due to staying up too late at night.  Each day this week has it's own list to accomplish and one of them (yesterday) included errands.

I went inside the grocery store, found spray starch (which W/M should have had) and walked to the front, joining a crowd of folks lined up to check out.  Waiting patiently trying to find the shortest line, I realized that I was the only white person in the group. That's fine.  No problem.  

The man with the trach tube was in front of me.  I only had the one can of spray starch in my hand.  He could not speak, but motioned for me to go in front of him.  He only had a few things in the top of his cart, but was kind enough to allow me to take my 1 item and go ahead of him.  I nodded and moved to the counter.  I checked out and paid ... and glanced back at the man's cart.  The man with the trach tube. The checker was about to reach for his cart. 

I knew that I should pay for his purchases.  Not sure why, but I knew it was the thing I was being led to do.  I spoke to the checker to let her know I wanted to pay for his items.  She had a surprised look on her face.  Smiled and made a humming sound ... I could interpret it as, Wow.  I explained, "Well, he was nice enough to let me get in line ahead of him."   I waited for her to check out his items and used my debit card to pay.  The checker smiled.  I could tell that this made her feel just as good as it did me.  

I was through.  I didn't look back or say anything to the man with the trach.  I just headed to my car. Knowing I did something right. Or, I thought I did something right.

I got in my car and looked to the front of the store.  The man with the trach was getting in his car.  A shiny ... blue ... mustang!  Shiny!  Blue!  Nice!   I thought, "Did I do the right thing?  Maybe he didn't need help ... he is probably better off than I am."  These thoughts plagued me.  Did I miss it?

This morning as the 'get ready to leave' chores resumed, I was ironing and I suddenly KNEW why I was led to pay for the man's groceries.  I understood, and it surprised me!  

Remember?  I was the only white person in the front of the store, including customers and checkers!    

I realized this morning that it was not so much for the man with the trach that I felt led to pay for his groceries.  It was for the lady checker!  

It was an obvious act that made a statement:  I'm not racist.  I'm the only white in here, but I have a heart for all humanity.  

There is only one race and it's the human race.  

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.  
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Thank you, Lord, for showing me why I was led to help the man with the trach ...  at the store that I didn't want to go to.  I had an appointment.  Perhaps, it was to let someone know that there is not as big of a hatred or racist problem among many Americans as we are led to believe.  

We have a great country.  Our country is made up of good people and many  hearts are still turned towards God.  

I love Divine Assignments.  I love it even more when I listen ... and follow through, even if I don't understand it every time.

... 




No comments:

Post a Comment