Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Friday, April 12, 2013

For Children: JONAH'S CHANGE OF HEART

 
Jonah didn't want to preach
So he ran far away
His courage was just like jelly
And he wound up in the fish's belly.
 
He stayed there for
Three nights and days
And decided he'd
Just better pray.
 
"Oh, God...I'm about to drown
With sea-weeds all around
Lord, can't You see...
You've really made a believer outta me."
 
The Lord and the fish
Had a heart-to-heart talk
And Jonah was freed
To get out and have another walk.
 
God said, "Jonah, I think
You'd better go
And preach as I told you
A long, long time ago!"
 
So, off Jonah went
As fast as he could
Anxious to preach
The Word of the Lord.
 
And would you believe...
the People Believed,
Repented and prayed through
Turned every one from his evil way.
 
God rested, relaxed
And that made Jonah mad
When mercy is shown ...
It sure makes some so sad.
 
Jonah pouted
As some of us do
When Ninevah survived
He said, "I could just die."
 
So, God make a gourd
To cover his head
Jonah was glad
For the shade of the shed.
 
Then God sent a big worm
To eat at the gourd
An east wind and hot sun
Old Jonah was gonna burn.
 
Jonah said, "It's so hot
At the top of my head...
Better for me
If I were soon dead.
 
God said, "Jonah,
Why are you upset?"
He answered, "I grieve for the gourd
Why, I even fret."
 
Well, God told Jonah
Quite a thing or two
"Never you mind
'Bout what I decide to do.
 
If I spare Ninevah
And all the people there
More than 120,000 youngsters
Who've not yet heard their share
Of preaching and the good news
That I really, really care.
 
Jonah, it's a good time
For you to
Have a heart!
 
Or the next time
I come
I'll bring
An even bigger worm!
 
That ole worm
Will want more
Than just a plain
Ole gourd.
 
I'll let 'em
Eat on you ...
A Dry. Dead
Spiritual Bore."
 
~ ~ Jane Powell
.......

No comments:

Post a Comment