Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Saturday, January 2, 2010

Don't Forget the Holy Spirit

A couple of weeks ago, a friend asked a question about the seven Spirits of God (Revelation 4:5). I love an opportunity to research  and I'm not bothered by the fact that I don't know everything. Furthermore, I don't feel badly when I admit I don't know.  Perhaps it's the challenge that I love! Who knows. Anyway...I researched the seven Spirits of God. The information revealed what I've been forgetting to do.

First, I'll post the answer...then explain insight gained from the answer.

Seven is God's number for completion. The seven Spirits of God represent the presence of the Holy Spirit at the throne of God. The Holy Spirit is like a burning fire filled with judgment against sin and with the purity of God... Isaiah 11:2, “The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him — the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.” This could possibly explain the seven spirits of God…(1) Spirit of the LORD, (2) Spirit of wisdom, (3) Spirit of understanding, (4) Spirit of counsel, (5) Spirit of power, (6) Spirit of knowledge, (7) Spirit of the fear of the Lord.

The "Sevenfold Spirit of God" is terminology used by the Bible to describe the Holy Spirit, who is Deity, Omnipresent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient. He is full, complete, and lacks nothing. His sevenfold aspects show the fullness of His perfection, character, and might!

Now, I'll tell you what I have been forgetting to do:

I have not been calling on this complete... perfect... Holy Spirit... utilizing His Wisdom - His understanding - His counsel - His power - His knowledge...as I should. He's perfect and Omniscient and I'm obviously not. I flail around...relying on my humanity to survive...while all of the time, He is there. I've forgotten to ask SPECIFICALLY for SPECIFIC wisdom, understanding, counsel, knowledge...from the only One Who can supply specific information...so that I can live an abundant life. Maybe the word here is: Specific!!

If I need wisdom, why have I not taken my request to the Spirit of Wisdom? If I am in need of knowledge, why have I forgotten to call out to the Spirit of Knowledge? At times I should inquire of the Spirit of Counsel. As a child of God I have been given the privilege to cry out to Him in these seven areas, then listen for His voice and receive instruction (via the Holy Spirit). I need everything He has to offer.  I need to know what the Spirit of God knows and freely shares.

Ok. By now you've got the picture.  You may be in the same boat...because we're all humans created by God and we just can't make it without assistance from the One Who created us. Hopefully, we won't forget to call on the seven aspects of perfection - God's precious Holy Spirit.

Thanks, God, for reminding us of what we have forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection: specific, right on target. I've found on my own journey that I could pray for a specific virtue at a time, such as simplicity, generosity, humility, etc., none of which can be had without the gifts.

    Keep it up my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin,
    You are special. I treasure our friendship.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete