Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Do What??

I listened to Robyn Okrant just a minute ago as she shared her one year experience (2008) of living her life according to Oprah's leading...from what to wear to handling marital disagreements. Amazing. She searched Oprah's web site and magazines for advice pertaining to every aspect of life, what to wear, what to eat, what to buy....Amazing, again! She stated that (1) she adopted a pet (2) became active in hands-on charitable work - b u t - she concluded by saying: she felt lousy. Her lowest point came when she felt self-conscious...am I meeting up to standards...I felt paranoid...She admitted that it became 'weary' to always follow Oprah's advice.

From an article in USA Today, written by Craig Wilson: It wasn't easy. Okrant says she was "broken down, my tank empty" by October 2008 and thrilled when it was all over. "I got to revel in all my bad habits again," says Okrant, 37. So, does Okrant think she came close to her "best life"? "I think I eventually found it when I stopped working on it," she says.

Another online artice from the Detroit News stated:
Robyn was called the 'Oprah lady'... She spent an entire 365 days, 1,202 hours and $4,781.84 to determine she's her more "authentic self" without Oprah running her life so that we don't have to. What a relief.

I don't know about you, but I would fall short if I attempted to follow a celebrity. I can never do what they do - buy what they buy - look like they look - go where they go - dress as they dress...and the list goes on. I'm so relieved that I don't have to imitate them.

But there is another I'm to follow: Ephesians 5:1 (Amplified) THEREFORE BE imitators of God [copy Him and follow His example], as well-beloved children [imitate their father]. Mark 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, James, Andrew, Thomas, Jude, Barnabas, Bartholomew...if I want to imitate a fellow-human, let it be one of these. There were also great women of the Bible, such as: Mary, Ruth, Esther, Deborah, Mary and Martha...and the list goes on.

Simplify your life. Look into God's Word. You'll know how to dress, speak, think, and behave. Jesus is the perfect model for living. He's the only model you need to follow.

If you want to know more about the Oprah follower and her new book...you can go to her web site. If you want to know more about Jesus Christ, just pick up your Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment