Welcome!

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Andersen


Tuesday, December 31, 2019

LOLA

Children need you.  Timothy needed his mother, Eunice, and his grandmother, Lois.

I can remember her name.  Even today, after many, many years.  I was a child.  A young child. :)  Her name was Lola Riggs.  She lived in a small white house just up the road from me.  How can I remember her name after all of these years?  I'll admit it is amazing that her name is still prominent in my mind.  The main reason that is amazing is because there are times I go from one end of the house to the other and can't recall what I was going after!!  Only after retracing my steps does the purpose of going from one room to the other actually dawn on me...

Yet, I can remember this lady taking me to church.  The memory is vague, and I may go years without thinking about it, but the fact that she did this has never left me.  I can't tell you of anything that made an impact on me that day.  All I can tell you is that I remember Lola taking me to church!

I've experienced years of ministry since then (some good times and some not so good) ... and today I still enjoy serving the Lord.

Eternity will provide the reunion I long for with Lola.   That's the only way I will be able to thank her for such kindness.  She went to heaven a long time ago.  There's no way in this life to let her know what an impact she made on me, even as a young child.

Matthew 19:13-14 says, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Psalm 127: 3 "Children are a heritage from the Lord..."

2 Timothy 1:15 tells us about a young man named Timothy.  His mother, Eunice, and his grandmother, Lois, made a difference in his life in spite of the negative influences of living in a gentile nation and in a home with an unbeliever. 

Ah, the influence of adults on children!  It matters!  The future of every child depends on the guidance of men and women.  People like Eunice, Lois, and the "Lola's" contribute to the Kingdom sometimes by simply being examples to children.  It's the "Lola's" in our life that are heroes and giants of the faith.  

Are we living today as the Eunice, Lois, and Lola's of years gone by?  It matters greatly that we are sincere and living a genuine Christian life before children.  

A story is told of a pastor visiting one of his parishioners.  After refreshments, the pastor said, "I'm glad to see the way you are living."   The man replied, "If you want to know how we really live, you must come when you're not here."

1.  You cannot impart what you do not possess.

2.  If you possess godliness, you will impart it.

3.  It will be imparted to those around you.

4.  It will affect the children and their future.

5.  It may affect a child's eternal destination.

6.  It could determine that child's spiritual influence on others or the lack thereof.

7.  Your influence will be revealed and rewarded in heaven.

Yes, I remember a lady named Lola Riggs, who lived in a small white house just up the road.  And I will be forever grateful for her kindness.


  

...

No comments:

Post a Comment